FOREST HILLS, NY ORTHODONTIST PROVIDES ADULT BRACES
Braces are often associated with teenagers, in Forest Hills, NY, but they’re becoming very popular with adults as well. For adults who have a smile that they’ve always been dissatisfied with, braces represent a chance to correct years of frustration while improving your oral health.
FOREST HILLS, NY ORTHODONTIST FIXES CROOKED ADULT TEETH
Adults need braces for similar reasons that adolescent patients do. Yet, if you didn’t have orthodontic treatment as a child, your issues may have gotten worse over the years, as you have aged, you are experiencing symptoms such as tooth decay and headaches. You may also find it difficult to keep your teeth and gums properly cleaned and may be at greater risk for developing gum disease.
A few common reasons adults get braces include:
- Crooked teeth
- Misaligned jaw
Are Braces for Adults Different Than Braces for Kids?
Braces for adults work in the same way they do for younger patients, but your treatment may last longer. Since your teeth are set and are no longer growing, they take more pressure – and often more time – to move. As an adult, you may wear braces for a period ranging from 18 months to three years.
Although the results may take longer, if you’ve lived with dental issues that you’ve always wanted to change, it’s worth exploring your options.
FOREST HILLS, NY ORTHODONTIST OFFERS CHOICES FOR ADULT BRACES?
It’s important to choose an orthodontist that has options to fit your needs and preferences. Such as:
- Traditional Metal Braces: Stainless steel brackets are applied to the front of your teeth, and adjusted using a small wire that’s connected to each bracket
- Ceramic Braces: Also known as clear braces, function like traditional metal braces but are made from a material that matches the color of your teeth.
- Invisalign®: This set of aligners is almost invisible and can be removed when you eat and brush your teeth, which allows you to not have dietary restrictions that are associated with traditional braces.
- Lingual Braces– Similar to regular metal braces, but the brackets are attached to the back of each tooth rather than the front, making them less noticeable
- Self-ligating Braces– A small slide mechanism is used instead of bands of ties, that create the appearance of less metal.
HOW TO DECIDE WHICH ADULT BRACES OPTION IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Your orthodontist will explain your options to you, including information about whether any choices are likely to be more effective than others. In addition to this recommendation, price and appearance may also be considerations. As an adult, you may opt for a less noticeable type of braces, such as Invisalign or ceramic braces.
If you’re an adult who would like to learn whether braces are a good option for you and determine which types may be appropriate, make an appointment today for a consultation with Amazing Smiles Orthodontics. We’ve taken care of our patients’ smiles and oral health for more than 30 years and pride ourselves on being committed to providing high-quality, affordable care.