When determining if children need braces, there are certain signs to look for. These signs include things like crooked or crowded teeth, a large overbite or underbite, crossbites, and jaw asymmetries.
When determining if children need braces, there are certain signs to look for. These signs include things like crooked or crowded teeth, a large overbite or underbite, crossbites, and jaw asymmetries. Early or late loss of baby teeth can also indicate a need for braces. Simple habits like thumb sucking and breathing through the mouth are also early signs that a child may need braces or another sort of orthodontic treatment.
Keeping an eye on these signs can help determine when a parent should talk with an orthodontist about their child’s teeth.
For adults, signs that you need braces are, of course, teeth that are visibly crooked or crowded. Further signs can include difficulty when flossing and brushing around crooked teeth. Behaviors like biting your tongue or cutting your tongue on your teeth are also signs that you need braces.
Other Tell-Tale Signs When Someone Needs Braces Includes:
- Persistent bad breath – If your teeth are too close together or have grown in crookedly, it becomes much easier for food particles and bacteria to build up between them and cause plaque—which in turn causes bad breath and cavities. This can lead to periodontal disease, gingivitis, dental abscesses, and even tooth loss. If your teeth are significantly crooked, brushing and flossing twice a day might not fully solve the problem.
- Frequent jaw pain – A misaligned jaw puts extra stress on the joints that attach your jaw to your head, which causes pain. If you frequently experience soreness or pain in your jaw, you might need braces to help correct your jaw alignment and your bite. This sign can often be overlooked, so be sure to mention it to your dentist when asking about how to know if you need braces.
- Build up of plaque that’s hard to get rid of – This is a number one sign that teeth can be overcrowded to the point that it’s difficult to floss.
- Difficulty chewing food
- Consistently biting the inside of your cheeks
- A bad bite – What causes a bad bite? Bad habits like tongue thrusting, or sucking the thumb, fingers or lower lip. Or it may be the result of an accident, the premature loss of baby or adult teeth, or heredity.
WHAT TYPES OF BRACES ARE AVAILABLE?
Here are a few brace choices to consider:
- Aligners – These clear plastic trays are custom-made for your teeth. This is the preferred choice for many as they’re almost invisible. They require a certain discipline to wear them at least 20 hours a day. You can remove them for eating and brushing your teeth.
- Metal braces – ‘Conventional’ braces are sometimes better suited for more robust treatments. These usually offer the quickest treatment. They are more visible.
- Ceramic braces – These are a more attractive option than steel braces. The color of ceramic can blend with your teeth. However, they may mean a lengthier treatment. Also, these braces are slightly bigger and often installed only on upper teeth.
- Lingual braces – Also known as concealed braces, as they attach by brackets to the backs of your teeth. They are virtually invisible and the treatment time is similar to conventional braces. They can, however, be more costly.
Once treatment is completed, your orthodontist will probably prescribe a permanent or removable retainer. This will keep your teeth from shifting back to their original positions. Be prepared for the cost of getting a new retainer if you lose yours. If you get a permanent retainer, your orthodontist will need to glue it back on if it comes off.
Learn about the different orthodontic braces that are available at Amazing Smiles Orthodontist! Since it’s back to school season we want to extend our deepest gratitude by extending a $500.00 courtesy that will go towards orthodontic treatment.
ORTHODONTIC CARE IS AVAILABLE IN THESE LOCATIONS
If anyone is needing to visit our orthodontic care center, visit Amazing Smiles Orthodontist with convenient locations in Long Island, Brooklyn, and Queens, NY. Amazing Smiles honors payment plans such as payment installments, insurance, flexible spending programs, and third-party financing.
MAKE AN ORTHODONTIST APPOINTMENT TODAY
Anyone can reach out and schedule a free consultation by contacting the phone numbers below:
100-25 Queens Blvd.
Forest Hills, NY, 11375
545 Central Avenue
Cedarhurst, NY, 11516
2078 East 65th Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11234