Receding gum lines are very common amongst adults but is there a link between gum recession and braces? We will look into this debate which is highly speculative and asked by many patients. First off, gum recession happens when the bone underneath the gums undergoes resorption and disappears, making the gums pull back and exposing the root surface. It can be localized, affecting one or two teeth, or generalized.
Typically, patients are not aware that their gum is receding until a late stage is visible. Progressive gum recession can result in sensitivity, cosmetic problems, bone loss, and potentially tooth loss.
WHAT IS A SIGN OF GUM RECESSION?
Tooth sensitivity is the most common sign of receding gums. When this happens, a patient’s teeth become more sensitive to hot, cold, acidic, and spicy food and beverages. Another significant sign is that their teeth look longer than before, and a dark line appears on the teeth along the gum line.
PREVENTING GUM RECESSION WITH BRACES
Braces might cause gum recession, but this is not the main reason for it. Oral hygiene remains to be the main cause. So a patient is conscious of their oral health and ensures that their gums are healthy, they can effectively prevent receding gums even when they are wearing braces. Also, it is important to follow their dentist’s instructions to keep their teeth clean and to periodically visit their clinic for regular cleaning and checkup.
TREATMENT FOR GUM RECESSION
Most of the time, mild gum recession does not need any specific treatment. However, you need to carefully monitor your gums and gently brush your teeth. If you do get gum recession and you need treatment, there are some options that you can look into. Ask your dentist the ones that are most effective for you.
- Composite restoration – These cover the root surface and close black gaps between teeth.
- Desensitizing agents and dentin bonding agents – These products reduce the sensitivity of the exposed tooth root. They treat the nerve symptoms and ease the brushing of sensitive teeth.
- Removable gum veneers – Usually made of silicone or acrylic, these replace large areas of missing gum tissue from recession.
- Pink porcelain or composite – These have the same color as the gums and fill the gap or receded gums.
CAN BRACES HELP GUM RECESSION?
Unfortunately, braces and Invisalign aligners can’t cure or reverse gum recession. Sometimes, though, they can offer a small cosmetic improvement. For example, if a prominent tooth has some recession, bringing it back into line can improve its appearance.
What braces can do is prevent gum recession for some patients:
- Gum disease is a major cause of gum recession, and poor oral health is a large contributing factor. Straight teeth make it easier for you to reach all the surfaces of your teeth to keep them clean and healthy.
- Sometimes a bad bite, for example, a deep overbite, can result in recession, so by repositing your teeth, we can avoid further damage to your gums.
ORTHODONTIC CARE IS AVAILABLE IN THESE LOCATIONS
If anyone is needing to visit our orthodontic care center, visit Amazing Smiles Orthodontist with convenient locations in Long Island, Brooklyn, and Queens, NY. Amazing Smiles honors payment plans such as payment installments, insurance, flexible spending programs, and third-party financing.