Invisalign vs braces
If you’re considering either braces or Invisalign clear retainers, it’s important to find out the difference between the two treatments and the pros and cons of both options. Let’s dive into the Invisalign vs braces pros and cons.
Both options are used to straighten teeth, improve your smile, create healthier gums, and reduce gaps between your teeth. However, the way they work is slightly different. Read the below pros and cons of both traditional metal braces vs. Invisalign® to help you make the best decision.
Metal Braces Pros & Cons
Metal braces are permanently attached to your teeth using metal brackets connected with wires and small rubber bands. The wire is adjusted slightly over time to move your teeth to the desired placement. Traditional metal braces are a great option for complex dental repairs. Many kids and teens enjoy wearing braces because they are able to choose the color of their rubber bands and can swap the bands out for a new color combination every time they visit the orthodontist. Metal braces are typically the more affordable option, but can make brushing your teeth and flossing trickier.
- Permanent (will not lose or forget to wear)
- Rubber band color options
- No extra cleaning steps
- More affordable than most other options
- Must floss with special tool
- May have some minor pain or sores from wires
- May have a hard time eating certain foods
- Brackets may leave stains without good oral hygiene
- Average treatment is 2 years
Invisalign Braces Pros & Cons
Invisalign® is the more popular option for teeth straightening among teens because it is designed to be invisible. The plastic retainer is smooth and doesn’t irritate your lips, which is sometimes a complaint about traditional metal braces. This invisible braces option is ideal for those who want less metal but may be pricier, and also may be less effective when treating complex dental problems.
- Smooth against lips
- No food restrictions
- Usually done in 6-8 months
- More expensive option
- Cannot treat complex problems
- Must be cleaned separately
- Removable (could get lost/damaged)
- Must brush after every meal to avoid tooth stains
Amazing Smiles Orthodontics has a whole section dedicated to living with braces. Be sure the check it out!