Retainers are a popular orthodontic treatment that provides many benefits.
What Are Retainers?
A retainer is a custom-made orthodontic device that fits over the top of the teeth and mouth. It’s made of plastic or plastic and metal, and it’s very common for kids and adults to have to wear a retainer.
Why Would Someone Need One?
Retainers are often used for the following reasons:
- After you get your braces off – A retainer can help your teeth stay in their new positions. Especially for kids who are still growing, a retainer helps control teeth that could shift as you grow. Some people have to wear a retainer all day and then only at night, while others have to wear it only at night.
- To close a space between your teeth or to move only one tooth – Since retainers can do a good job in these cases, they can help you avoid having to wear braces.
- To help with a medical problem – Retainers can help correct conditions such as tongue thrust, which causes your tongue to come through your teeth when you talk. It can also help with temporomandibular disorder (TMD), a disorder that’s usually caused by teeth that don’t fit together as they should when your jaws are closed. Retainers can also help keep your mouth from closing completely at night so you don’t grind your teeth (bruxism).
What Are Signs That You May Need One?
You may need a retainer if you have braces and your teeth have slightly shifted. Your orthodontist may also recommend them to prevent the chance that shifting will occur.
You may also benefit from wearing a retainer if you have gaps in between your teeth, overlapping teeth or crooked teeth. And if you grind your teeth or have “bite” problems, meaning your teeth don’t fit together properly when your jaw is shut, you may also need a retainer.
What Are the Benefits of Wearing a Retainer?
Recommendations now suggested by the American Association of Orthodontists is to wear a retainer for the rest of your life once orthodontic treatment is completed and at night – after initial stabilization period of full time wear. The following are some benefits you’ll receive when wearing a retainer:
- More comfortable and less bulky than many other orthodontic treatments
- Maintains positive changes achieved by braces
- Effective for treating a wide variety of issues
- Easy to wear and clean
- Less noticeable than other treatments
- Custom-designed for your teeth and mouth
If you’d like to find out whether a retainer could improve your smile, make an appointment today with Amazing Smiles Orthodontist. We have convenient offices located in NYC boroughs and have provided high quality, affordable orthodontic care throughout the New York metro area for more than 30 years.